5 Penn Plaza, 23rd Floor
New York, NY 10001

Call Now To Schedule A Case EvaluationLawPay

Call Us1-833-JOEYJACKSON 1-833-563-9522

How Can I Obtain a Building Permit in New York?

Posted on in Administrative Law

NYC administrative agency law attorney

New York State law requires that building permits be obtained before most construction or renovation projects begin. In New York, there are four different tiers of building permits, and it is critical to understand what type of permit fits your plans and how to apply to avoid penalties for unsanctioned work. To make this process clearer and to avoid any missteps, work with an administrative law attorney who can help you with the legal process. 

Building Permits in New York

Unless you perform minor work like installing new kitchen cabinets, you most likely need a Department of Buildings permit. You cannot directly file for a permit. If you are not a licensed professional, you must hire a licensed Professional Engineer or Registered Architect to draft and file plans before work can begin. Many different types of permits exist, such as construction, elevator, boiler, and plumbing. Permits will fall under the New Building (NB) or Alterations 1, 2, and 3 categories. New York State law defines these permits as follows:

  • New Building: Construction of a new structure

  • ALT1: Major alterations that will alter the use, egress, or occupancy of a building or structure

  • ALT2: Multiple types of work that do not affect the use, egress, or occupancy of a building or structure

  • ALT3: Minor work or repairs that do not impact the use, egress, or occupancy of a building or structure

Although minor work may not require a permit, contractors who contribute should have a Department of Consumer Affairs Home Improvement Contractor License. 

Applying for a New York Building Permit

When you begin the permit process, you must hire a licensed professional to submit plans and applications to the Department of Buildings. You are free to hire a contractor after that. Once you have Department approval, your contractor may apply for a work permit. Getting a permit from the Department of Buildings is only the first step to legally conducting construction or renovation projects in New York. Once your work is complete, you must schedule any mandatory Department inspections as required by administrative law. If you need a new or amended Certificate of Occupancy, you will receive one after a satisfactory inspection.

Contact a Brooklyn Administrative Law Attorney

For an easier time navigating the permit application process, work with a trusted New York administrative agency law attorney. They will help you understand which type of permit your construction or renovation project requires and they can make sure you abide by the Department of Buildings’ rules to avoid costly penalties and delays. Joey Jackson has years of experience assisting clients in adhering to New York State administrative law. Call Joey Jackson Law, PLLC today at 1-833-JOEYJACKSON or 1-833-563-9522 to schedule a private consultation.








Call Us833-563-9522

Hofstra University New York County Lawyer Association National association of criminal defense lawyers Rockefeller College Brockport College

5 Penn Plaza, 23rd Floor
New York, NY 10001

Call Us833-563-9522

Back to Top